A fresh start.
We have held on to the name Girls Guns & Glory for probably too long. Things have changed in the 12 years since naming the band and believe me, no one wants to change the name of a band they’ve spent 12 years building.
When I first set out to make my own music I was deeply inspired by one of the greatest singing cowboys of them all: Gene Autry. In addition to the band name coming to me in a vision, I believe it was also inspired by all the Autry westerns I had been watching at that time. Girls, guns, and glory were the theme of many of his movies and tv shows. And I have always done my best to adhere to The Cowboy Code:
1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents and his nation’s laws.
10. The Cowboy is a patriot.
The name Girls Guns & Glory has become offensive to some and an impediment to moving the band forward. Today’s highly charged political climate combined with the proliferation of gun violence has made the name a lightning rod for some and offensive to many.
We never intended for that to be the case, but times change and we feel the time is right to brand a new name.
We have decided to change the band’s name to Ward Hayden & The Outliers. We have always considered ourselves outliers in the world of country music.
Which is also why we’ve always considered that being a cowboy is a state of mind. And to continue adhering to The Cowboy Code we want to represent our band with a name that will describe who we are more accurately. We continue to have the same mission we’ve always had: to make heartfelt country music and rock ‘n’ roll, to connect with fans through shared experiences in venues and through recordings, and to continue moving forward, living life in search of the moments worth singing about. We truly can’t wait to share with you the new music we have coming out this Fall and we hope you’ll continue to share in the experience as we move forward together. –Ward Hayden & The Outliers (Ward, Paul, Josh and Cody)